A trip and fall accident may occur when a hazardous condition or an object causes a person to trip and fall down. A victim may be able to recover compensation for the injuries and damages suffered because of the accident.
Types of trip and fall accident
There are different types of trip and fall accidents. Some of the most common types include:
- Trip and falls on potholes.
- Trip and falls on sidewalks.
- Trip and falls on steps.
- Trip and falls in stores.
- Trip and falls on uneven surfaces.
Common causes of a trip and fall accident
The cause of a trip and fall accident can often help in determining liability. Some of the most common causes include:
- An uneven or a defective staircase.
- Bad lighting.
- A poorly marked or unmarked walking hazard.
- A protruding flooring, rug or a carpet.
- An uneven surface.
- A loose or broken sidewalk.
- An exposed wire.
Common injuries in a trip and fall accident
A trip and fall accident can be very dangerous. When you trip, you fall very quickly with little or no time to brace yourself. As a result, you may suffer from one or more of the following injuries:
- Bruise and cut
- Broken rib
- Broken bone, especially in the arm, leg, and hip
- Dislocated shoulder
- Head injury and brain damage
- Spinal injury
- Disability, either temporary or permanent
Sometimes a trip and fall accident may result in death.
Proving liability in a trip and fall accident case
If your trip and fall accident was caused by someone else’s negligence, it is important to consult with an attorney to see if you have a case. Your attorney may be able to help you obtain compensation by proving the following elements:
- The liable party caused a hazardous condition.
- The party knew or reasonably should have known about the condition and failed to correct it.
- Negligence of the liable party caused your injury.
Contact our trip and fall accident attorney today
If you or a loved one has been the victim of a trip and fall accident, get in touch with our lawyers today. We have successfully represented trip and fall cases against private landowners, commercial landowners and municipalities. We can help you too. Call (914) 357-8911 or (718) 619 4215 or email email@example.com.