There are basic steps to take if you are injured in a car accident. Following these steps makes it easier to file an insurance claim or start a lawsuit.
Steps to Take Following a Motor Vehicle Accident
1. Seek medical attention: Seek medical attention immediately, even if your injuries are minor.
2. Do not admit fault: Any statements you make may be used against you in a court of law. Wait to speak to a lawyer to discuss the specifics of the accident.
3. Take pictures of the scene: Ask your fellow passengers to take photographs if you are unable.
4. Take detailed notes: Note the medical treatment that you received. Write the names and addresses of the doctors who treated you. Make a file of medical bills and other reports, so that you can show them to insurance companies.
5. Obtain a copy of the police report: Get a copy of the police report to make sure it is accurate.
6. Do not sign any written statement: Do not sign any statements without consulting a personal injury lawyer
7. Hire an experienced motor vehicle accident attorney: Do not handle a personal injury claim alone.
An auto accident lawyer understands the complexities that auto accidents entail. This includes dealing with legal and insurance matters. Hire an experienced motor vehicle accident attorney to achieve the best results.
If you are injured in an automobile accident in NY, contact Westchester NY accident attorney Attorney W. H. Cooper at 914-357-8911. He will review your case and discuss the available options.