Slips, trips and falls account for 15% of all workplace accidents. Prevention of slip and fall accidents should be the key goal of every safe and healthy workplace.
What are causes of slips and falls in a workplace?
Slips and falls in a workplace can be caused due to a number of factors, including:
- Slippery or wet surfaces
- Loose matting
- Poor lighting
- Walkway surfaces that are in disrepair
- Highly polished surfaces/floors that do not allow for adequate footwear traction
- Open desk/cabinet drawers
Employer’s role in preventing slip and fall accidents in a workplace
It is the responsibility of employers to protect their employees. They must provide necessary information, instruction, and supervision to protect the health and safety of all employees. The steps that employers can take to prevent slip and fall accidents in a workplace are:
- Ensure slip-resistant flooring and slip-resistant mats.
- Ensure adequate lighting in every area.
- Ensure guardrails for raised floors.
- Provide wet floor signage.
- Ensure that spills are cleaned up promptly.
- Ensure that clutters are cleared from walking surfaces.
- Ensure to clean grease build-up from slip resistant mats.
- Ensure prompt maintenance.
- Ensure to correct poor work practices.
- Train workers to prevent slips, trips and falls.
Contact Marvin A. Cooper, P.C for slip and fall accident lawyer
If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident in a workplace due to the negligence of your employer, you may be entitled to compensation. The slip and fall attorneys at Marvin A. Cooper, P.C. will make sure you are treated fairly and will help you recover monetary damages. Call us at (914) 357-8911 and (718) 619 4215 or email us at email@example.com.