Firm Logo

New York Police Misconduct Lawyers

New York Police Misconduct Lawyers

Police Brutality Attorneys in White Plains Demand Justice and Accountability for Injured Victims of Law Enforcement Throughout New York, Including Westchester County, Bronx County, Rockland County, and NYC

Although the public expects police officers to uphold the law, law enforcement personnel engage in misconduct all too frequently. According to the New York Civil Liberties Union, the New York City Civilian Complaint Review Board received over 180,000 unique complaints about police misconduct over the past two decades, involving nearly 60,000 separate incidents and over 35,000 individual active and former NYPD officers. If you have suffered injuries, emotional trauma, and financial losses due to the wrongful acts of law enforcement officers, turn to the New York police misconduct lawyers of Marvin A. Cooper, P.C., for help. 

For over six decades, our firm has advocated for the rights and interests of injured victims across New York. We provide a compassionate, empathetic approach that recognizes the trauma you have been through. We take the time to get to know you and relate to you, no matter your background. With our firm in your corner, you’ll have the confidence and strength to stand up to those who violated your rights to demand justice. 

Reach out to the police brutality attorneys in White Plains, NY, of Marvin A. Cooper, P.C., for a free case evaluation to discuss the claims you may have against police officers and law enforcement departments for the harm and loss you have suffered due to police misconduct. Let our firm fight to get you the financial recovery and accountability you deserve. 

Our New York Police Misconduct Lawyers Can Help You Pursue Financial Recovery After All Kinds of Law Enforcement Brutality or Misconduct

At Marvin A. Cooper, P.C., we believe that you should not bear the financial and emotional consequences of illegal or wrongful conduct by law enforcement. Our firm can help you pursue accountability and justice if you have been victimized by police misconduct such as:

  • Engaging in unlawful searches and seizures, including warrantless searches without probable cause or reasonable suspicion
  • Use of excessive force, including using force in non-violent situations or employing deadly force in non-life-threatening situations
  • Police brutality, including intentional assault and battery
  • Sexual assault, including rape, unwanted sexual contact, or being exposed or subject to indecent exposure
  • Mishandling evidence
  • Tampering with crime scenes or evidence, including planting false evidence or altering or destroying exculpatory evidence
  • Coercing confessions
  • Witness tampering and intimidation
  • Racial profiling
  • Making false statements on police reports
  • False arrest/imprisonment and malicious prosecution, or arresting/prosecuting a suspect without probable cause

What Can You Recover Compensation For If You’ve Been the Victim of Police Misconduct?

After you have been subjected to police misconduct or brutality, you deserve to recover compensation for expenses and losses that you incurred, including for:

  • Costs of repairs to property damage, including damage that occurred during an unlawful police entry into your property or during an unlawful search
  • Medical and rehabilitation expenses to treat injuries you suffered due to police brutality, including hospitalization, surgeries, prescriptions, physical/occupational therapy, or mental health/psychological care
  • Costs of long-term care and support for permanent disabilities you sustained
  • Loss of wages/income you incurred due to missed time from work or the loss of employment after a false arrest, prosecution, or imprisonment
  • Loss of earning capacity caused by the stigma of a criminal record or prior arrest/incarceration
  • Physical pain and emotional distress/trauma
  • Loss of quality of life due to disability or disfigurement/scarring
  • Reduced life expectancy due to injuries 

What Will Our Police Brutality Attorneys in White Plains, NY, Do to Help You Hold Law Enforcement Accountable for Their Misconduct?

Standing up to the police department after you have been the victim of law enforcement misconduct can cause you a great deal of anxiety, fear, or stress. You need a strong, caring advocate in your corner who won’t let you face the police who violated your rights on your own. When you turn to the New York police misconduct lawyers of Marvin A. Cooper, P.C., for help, you can expect our firm will:

  • Thoroughly and independently investigate your claims of police brutality and misconduct to find all available evidence to support your case
  • Identify the individuals and agencies who should be held liable to provide you with financial recovery and justice
  • Documenting your financial and personal losses from the police’s wrongful or illegal behavior
  • Vigorously advocating on your behalf at the negotiating table or in court to demand accountability from the police for the injuries and losses you suffered due to officers’ brutality or misconduct

Contact Marvin A. Cooper, P.C., for a Free Claim Evaluation to Discuss Your Options for Holding Police Accountable For Misconduct and Unlawful Behavior

Contact our firm today for a free, confidential consultation to discuss your case options with our New York police misconduct lawyers. Our firm can help you stand up to the police to demand justice and compensation for the injuries and harm you suffered at the hands of police officers who engaged in wrongful or illegal conduct. 

Frequently Asked Questions About Police Misconduct in New York

Can I file a police misconduct claim if I was convicted of a crime?

You may have a police misconduct claim even if you were ultimately convicted of a crime that led to your interaction with police. Just because you may have committed a crime does not give the police the right to break the law or violate your rights. You may be entitled to recover compensation for harm and loss you suffered because of police brutality during your arrest or booking.

How long do I have to file a police misconduct claim?

Under the New York Court of Claims Act Section 10, if you have a police misconduct claim against the state you must provide the Attorney General of New York within 90 days of the incident of misconduct. For claims arising from police misconduct of local law enforcement agencies, New York General Municipal Law Section 50-E also gives you only 90 days to file a notice of your claim with the appropriate municipal officer or agency. Because you have such a short time to begin your police misconduct claim, you should contact the police brutality attorneys in White Plains, NY, of Marvin A. Cooper, P.C., as soon as possible to ensure you do not lose your rights to recover compensation for your injuries or losses. 

“Wonderful experience.

Very knowledgeable and responsive!

— I definitely recommend them

to anyone in need of a great attorney”

"Thank you for making the dream of recovery a possibility for me. I appreciate you being so kind and helpful, even when I felt like giving up. I am so grateful for all that you've done.”

"Thank you for making the dream of recovery a possibility for me. I appreciate you being so kind and helpful, even when I felt like giving up. I am so grateful for all that you've done.”

View All Client Reviews
© 2023 Marvin A. Cooper, P.C. All Rights Reserved.Disclaimer.Site Map.