MOTOR VEHICLE ACCIDENTS – AUTOMOBILE COLLISIONS ATTORNEY
Marvin A. Cooper, P.C. aggressively represents automobile collision victims. The attorneys at Marvin A. Cooper, P.C. know the law. They will fight for you.
The Automobile Collisions Injury Attorneys at Marvin A. Cooper, P.C. are experienced in representing injury victims. Legal help is provided for:
- Emotional Trauma
- Lost Wages
- Medical & Therapy Bills
- Pain & Suffering
- Physical Disability
- Permanent Scars
- Property Damage and much more
NEW YORK “NO FAULT” INSURANCE LAW
New York is a no-fault state. This means a driver who has been injured in an accident turns to his or her own insurance company for the payment of medical expenses – regardless of who is at fault.
According to New York no fault insurance law, motorists are required to carry a minimum of $50,000 in personal injury protection (PIP) and $10,000 in property damage liability (PDL) coverage. Motorists must also carry Under Insured coverage between $25,000.00 to $50,000.00, as well as Uninsured Motorist coverage between $25,000.00 to $50,000. This insurance coverage is a 50-10-25 plan.
Different Types of Road Collisions
Common types of vehicle accidents are:
- Head-on collisions: Head-on collisions are one of the most dangerous. The typical cause of head-on collisions is when a vehicle inadvertently comes in the path of another vehicle. This occurs on roads with no separate lanes marked for opposite directions. This type of accidents damage the vehicle and can cause injury or death to the drivers.
- Single-vehicle collisions: This type of accident occurs when a single vehicle on the road has a collision without involving any other vehicle. The reason for this type of accident may be speeding and careless driving. The reason could also be obstacles on the road.
- Rear-end collisions: This type of accident is most likely to happen when one vehicle is not moving and another vehicle hits it from the back. This is common at traffic signals or near stop signs.
- Pedestrian involved accidents: Generally, pedestrians are involved in an accident when he or she is trying to cross the road. Children and elderly people prone to this because they fail to respond quickly to situations.
- Collisions due to blind spots: Blind spots happen when the driver is unable to see if there is another vehicle coming. This often happens while backing out of a parking spot or while changing lanes.
- Collisions involving multiple vehicles: Such accidents usually happen on highways when there is bad weather and it becomes difficult to control the vehicles. This is also possible on busy streets with high speed limits.
AVOIDING VEHICLE ACCIDENTS
There are a number of ways to reduce the risk of accidents. Some of them are:
- There should be clear road marks and signs to improve safety at intersections.
- Before riding, check your mirror for any following vehicles and if the vehicle is close behind, begin to brake earlier.
- Always keep a safe following distance from the vehicle in front of you.
- Use your brake lights if the vehicle behind is either tailgating or approaching at a high speed.
- To reduce risk of a crash, it is better to wait until a passing lane becomes available, or not to pass at all.
WHAT TO DO FOLLOWING AN ACCIDENT
If you are involved in a vehicle accident, it is important for you to know what to do. Marvin A. Cooper, P.C will provide skilled and experienced legal representation to help you make the right decisions. A vehicle accident attorney can help guide you through the process. Knowing what to do after an accident can significantly improve your chance of obtaining proper compensation.
Receiving medical attention is the first step if you or a family member suffers an injury during an accident. Exchange all necessary driver and insurance information with the other parties involved. Get the contact information of witnesses. Take pictures of the accident. Always remember to remain at the scene of the accident. This can prevent criminal charges. Call the police to report the accident.
If you sustain an injury due to the negligence of another, our motorcycle accident attorneys will evaluate your case. It is essential to discuss your legal rights with your vehicle accident attorney.
Call Marvin A. Cooper, P.C. today for a FREE case consultation at 914-357-8911.